MIGRATION and ETHNICITY
The Thor Heyerdahl International Day Conference’s aim is to honour the cultural legacy of Thor Heyerdahl and continue to develop his research and ideas, highlighting his involvement in international dialogue, his advocacy for clean oceans and support towards world peace.
We are proud to announce that the Thor Heyerdahl International Day series has been organized by the Heyerdahl Institute (THI) since 2006.
This year’s conference is presented in collaboration with the Turkish embassy in Oslo, Augsburg University, Minnesota (USA), and Vestfold & Telemark County Council. The conference will focus on the global subject of: Migration and ethnicity.
The goals of the conference are:
- To act – and put the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals on the agenda
- To contribute with lectures on international matters
- To learn from each other and inspire to action
The conference focuses on the following United Nations Sustainable Development Goals: Climate action (13) Reduced Inequalities (10), Sustainable Cities and Communities (11), Peace, Justice and Strong Institutions (16), and Partnerships for the Goals (17).
The conference will be a streaming event which is accessible on several digital platforms.
- 10.30 - 11.00
- Reception at the Turkish Ambassador’s Residence in Oslo. Coffee and Turkish specialties will be served.
- 11.00 - 11.30
- Welcome by conferencier Bettine Hoff Hermanson, Director of International Student and Scholar Services and Norway Hub, Augsburg University, Minnesota. Unesco World Science Day programme. Welcome by Ambassador Fazli Corman, the Turkish Embassy Opening remarks by County Mayor Terje Riis-Johansen, Vestfold & Telemark County Council Opening remarks by Deputy Mayor Rune Høiseth, Larvik Borough Opening remarks by Director Lene Walle, the Vestfold Museums
- 11.30 - 12. 10
- Global Perspectives on Migration and Development by Thorbjørn Jagland,
- Global Perspectives on Migration and Development by Thorbjørn Jagland, former Secretary General of the Council of Europe from 2009-2019, Prime Minister of Norway, Minister of Foreign Affairs and President of Parliament. Board member of non-profit organization The Thor Heyerdahl Institute, 2002-2009.
- 12.10 - 13.00
- Stories about migration from seven countries
- Why and how collecting and displaying personal stories about Migration and Ethnicity meets the sustainable development goals 10, 11 and 16. A presentation of “Identity on the Line” with customized contributions from the partner institutions in Norway, Denmark, Sweden, Poland, Lithuania, Slovenia and Croatia.